As you all know, the desire of most business owners when investing in building a management system is to operate effectively to bring maximum value to the business, However, in fact, it is very disappointed that most Vietnamese businesses when building management systems, especially management systems according to ISO 9000, for certification will not work.
To justify that, imagine that when building a house, we need to build the foundation first and then build the house, the bigger the house, the bigger and stronger the foundation. So why in the process of corporate governance, when building a management system we did not build the foundation for it? The question seems to be extremely simple but very few businesses put this issue and still follow the old method of the consulting units is focusing on standard training and writing documents.
We do not criticize or comment on the current approach, but if businesses continue to follow it, it is a barrier to the development of businesses, I remember Albert Einstein's saying "The crazy is who do things in a unique way over and over and expect different results” so why do we have to keep going with the old
In order to have an appropriate management system to operate effectively, it must meet the following criteria
- Proper initial planning
- Building and operating properly
- Measure and improve right
A management system built with a solid foundation or standardized in the first place will help solve these three problems, so what is the foundation here? Why did we mention it? For a better understanding, please read the analysis of the following five aspects first:
1. The development strategy orientation is the first and most important factor that we need to clarify before building a management system because it is the guideline for all activities of the business and also helps functional units limit conflicts or deviate from work. If the management system is set up but not in line with the strategic direction, there will be a lot of work conflicts and likely to be broken down to start over.
2. The organizational structure and functional matrix is a very important element in corporate governance that helps departments understand the scope of their units' responsibilities for each administrative function, thereby reducing the overlap in work and it is also the basis for setting job descriptions for employees. In addition, the functional matrix helps to divide the scope of the work of the steps in the processes more clearly and streamlined, if the organizational structure and the functional matrix are not appropriate, then the whole management system, documents will influence accordingly
3. When it comes to the documentation system we envision a lot of documentation, so how to easily understand, identify, distinguish and understand the purpose of use and the priority order of application if not There is a guide to that. If there is a streamlined interpretation of the above information for everyone to know before setting up the system and giving new people access to the system, things will become much easier, limiting errors. unnecessary and also save a lot of time for the business.
4. When setting up the system the most difficult thing is to know which documents need to be set, which documents need not be set and their priority if we do not have a definite basis. Science will cause the most waste and damage to the business as there will be a lot of redundant documents set up and also a lot of necessary documents. So a method to solve all these problems scientifically before starting to compile the process as a method of "combining risks and benefits in management" will bring A lot of benefits for businesses also help the system be set up right from the beginning.
5. In Vietnam, when it comes to ISO standards, it becomes an obsession for the majority of employees because most businesses set up management systems according to the method of imposition and improper setting of It is, therefore, that in order for the system to work properly, we must have a solution so that all employees understand the nature of the system, the benefits of the system, the operation of the system. In this way, all members understand and agree on the construction and operation of the system and this is also a decisive factor for the success or failure of the management system.
To build a system that standardizes right away as a basis for efficient operation, we must do the following:
1. Survey and evaluation to understand the outstanding issues of the enterprise
2. Determine your own development strategy and goals
3. Standardize the organizational structure and build job descriptions
4. Standardize methods of assessing risks and benefits to make a list of documents
5. Standardize the structure of a document system & text format
6. Standardize thinking and knowledge to understand and operate the system
Once the above information is properly set up in the first place, it is the foundation to help businesses solve the long-standing problems that businesses are facing and also the foundation for the system to be set up and operating properly:
- Activities of functional units are working towards the same goal because they have a clear understanding of the development strategy and goals of the company.
- The departments voluntarily perform the work and minimize the overlaps in the work because a functional matrix and a specific job description have been established.
- The document system is streamlined and interconnected because it has been scientifically assessed risks and benefits for making a list of documents and tasks to be performed.
- Documentation system resolves internal conflicts and satisfies enterprises' expectations because this information was recorded during the evaluation survey and integrated the handling plan in the construction process. build the document
- Compilation documents are concise, clear and do not overlap because there is a clear structure of documents, formats, coding and functions.
- Employees voluntarily apply the process, voluntarily monitor and respond to process improvement because they have been trained to understand the benefits of the system, understand their duties towards the system ...
On that basis, the system will be compiled and applied by the autonomous units, voluntarily applying and also voluntarily measuring and proposing improvement solutions, which will help businesses operate. more smoothly and effectively to easily achieve goals and strategies.
CEO of Lavan Trading Company Limited